[CentOS] Broadcom Wifi Problem

b.j. mcclure keepertoad at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 5 18:11:21 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-05 at 17:58 +0000, Michael D. Berger wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 13:47:43 -0400, b.j. mcclure wrote:
>
> [...]
> >
> > Maybe you need to install the firmware?  My laptop still uses the b43
> > driver but not entirely w/o issue.
> >
> > # yum search b43
> >
> [...]
>
> The instructions mentioned above include removing b43 and
> replacing it with something downloaded from Broadcom.
>
> Mike.

Yes, I'm aware of that, however, the driver is useless without the
firmware installed.  Whether the native CentOS 6 firmware package will
work with your driver is a question I cannot answer.  I see no reference
in the link you posted about firmware but since it discusses removing
and blacklisting the b43 driver I would guess the are assuming the
firmware is installed.

I would start with native packages in CentOS 6 and if operation is
unsatisfactory then seek another solution.

Just my $0.02.

CentOS Linux release 6.0 (Final)