[CentOS] managing a rack full of centos servers

Trey Dockendorf treydock at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 22:52:50 UTC 2011

On Sep 5, 2011 2:47 AM, "James Nguyen" <james at callfire.com> wrote:

> I'm managing two data centers and some instances on rackspace cloud
servers.  Currently running Cobbler+Puppet+Mcollective.  So far it's been
great for a team of one, myself.

> At the moment I'm looking into either using Aeolus or Openstack to bridge
the gap of my data centers and the public cloud still keeping
Puppet+Mcollective in the mix and seeing if Cobbler is still needed.

> Anyone out there tried both Aeolus *and* Openstack yet?  I'm looking
to supplement my research on these two private/public cloud tools. =)

> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Marian Marinov <mm at yuhu.biz> wrote:
>>
>> On Thursday 21 July 2011 18:36:17 Devin Reade wrote:
>> > --On Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:02:42 PM -0700 RC <cooleyr at gmail.com>

>> > I wasn't referring to pdsh/pdcp; I was referring to pconsole.  The
>> > reason I said complementing is that sometimes it is good to have
>> > stuff under a configuration management system like cfengine/puppet,
>> > but sometimes you need to run ad-hoc commands, in an identical
>> > fashion, on lots of similar machines, which pconsole is good at
>> > (subject to the caveats I previously mentioned).
>> >
>> > I made no comments on pdsh/pdcp at all, and make no claims on where
>> > it fits in the spectrum.
>> >
>> > Devin
>> >
>> You can actually achieve the same functionality of pdsh/pdcp and pconsole
with
>> a quite simple bash script :)
>>
>>  http://multy-command.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> I think it is a matter of what the admin will prefer to do. When you have
>> lot of identical machines, sometimes it is better to have
cfengine/puppet, but
>> sometimes it just an overkill to use them if you are the only one
>> administrating those machines.
>>
>> cfengine and puppet have a very good place on machines that are
administered
>> by a team of people.
>>
>> But solutions like pdsh/pconsole and multy-command, in my opinion are
more
>> suitable when there are only one or two guys administering those
machines.

>> Marian

> --
>
> james h nguyen | lead systems architect | www.callfire.com
 | 1.949.625.4263

+1 for Puppet.  I manage only around 20 servers all running a mix of CentOS
5.6 and CentOS 6 very well with Puppet.  The initial configuration and
understanding for it is daunting but WELL worth it in the end.  Also for
system provisioning ( kickstart and pxe) look at Foreman, which uses Puppet
after initial installation.