[CentOS] Centos Realtek Network driver for Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Sep 6 19:06:21 UTC 2011

Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 11:31 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
>
>> Sorry, but I don't have a clue of what your problem *is*. Are you saying
>> you had a surge, and it burned out the NIC, and you're trying to use an
>> card?
>>
>> Also, what kind of connection do you have: is it T-3, T-1, DSL, FIOS, or
>> cable?
> I had a surge and made onboard Intel Port inoperational.
>
> In a hurry, due to my then budget and my stupidity bought this cards
> which just has a .c file under its linux folder in its driver floppy.

Oy. What's the make and model of the card?

> My connection is coming from Local ISP a franchisee of Pacenet ISP
> called BBPaceThane.
>
> I have a CAT5 cable running from a switch froma  a 7-story building to
> 5th floor.

Ah. Here's a question: are you *sure* that you have a working connection,
and that they're not dead?

Personal note: several times, I've had 'Net access via the cable TV/ISP,
and the ->ethernet port<- on the cable modem burned out: they could ping
the modem, but I couldn't. Replace the cable modem, everything's
wonderful.

So, be aware that such a thing can happen. I only knew about it because,
the first time it happened, I was going crazy trying to figure out what
was gone, and mentioned it to a guy who ran a computer store, and he'd
seen it happen.

> I am compelled to use windows to access internet which I dont want to.

Ugh!

       mark