[CentOS] Networking question

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 17:48:43 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 12:39 PM, David G. Miller <dave at davenjudy.org> wrote:
>  <tdukes at ...> writes:
>
>> Is it possible to use a mobile hot spot such as the one from Verizon
>> to run a home network? Is there a way to do
>> this without having to buy wireless cards? I was thinking maybe I would
>> have to buy one for my centos machine
>> which acts as my gateway but would like to have other devices wired.
>>
>> Not sure if a wireless router or access point would allow me to do so.
>>

> My experience with mobile hotspots is that they work just like having a DSL or
> cable connected wireless router.  You don't need a separate router but you will
> want to make sure everything that connects to it is firewalled.  The one I
> tried out earlier this year was even running Linux "under the hood."

I think the question here is how to connect from the wired devices.  A
wifi interface in a linux box configured to act as a router for the
rest of the network and NAT to the wifi interface should work (also
needs to be the nameserver and probably dhcp server if one is used).
But it might be simpler if you can get an access point to run in
bridged mode with the wireless router which would take care of the
other details  - not sure if that is possible.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com