[CentOS] Networking question

tdukes at sc.rr.com tdukes at sc.rr.com
Wed Sep 7 18:40:30 UTC 2011

---- "David G. Miller" <dave at davenjudy.org> wrote:
>  <tdukes at ...> writes:
>

> > Hello,
> >
> > Is it possible to use a mobile hot spot such as the one from Verizon
> > to run a home network? Is there a way to do
> > this without having to buy wireless cards? I was thinking maybe I would
> > have to buy one for my centos machine
> > which acts as my gateway but would like to have other devices wired.
> >
> > Not sure if a wireless router or access point would allow me to do so.
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Eddie
> >
> My experience with mobile hotspots is that they work just like having a DSL or
> cable connected wireless router.  You don't need a separate router but you will
> want to make sure everything that connects to it is firewalled.  The one I
> tried out earlier this year was even running Linux "under the hood."
>
> The big difference between a mobile hotspot and some other form of connectivity
> is cost since you need a cell phone type data plan for the mobile hotspot.
> These aren't too bad for surfing the 'net but you can blow your data cap by
> downloading one ISO or chew through a lot of it with just a point release
> update.  I can't imagine what a suitable data plan would cost for multiple
> systems.

After checking with Verizon on their mobile Hotspot plans, it isn't feasible. However, I can do it through my unlimited data plan for my iPhone. 3G is faster than the Road Runner service I have.

If I use the IPhone, I can use a USB connection. My centos machine acts as my firewall/gateway on my wired network so the question now is, if I use the USB connection to my centos machine will that bypass the firewall?

Thanks