[CentOS] Emulate RHEV On CentOS - A note on Xen v. KVM

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.net.au
Thu Sep 8 03:23:39 UTC 2011

  On 09/08/2011 12:53 AM, Always Learning wrote:
> So, if I understand the situation, patches create flexibility in
> run-time options not available in run-time configuration files ?

Someone submits a patch as a quick-fix to a problem they've seen, which
gets accepted and inserted into the package. Down the track, a better
fix is submitted and accepted. All you need to do is pull the first
patch file and insert the second one, update your spec file then rebuild
the RPM.

If everything was all squashed up into one great big code base, you need
to hunt around to find the change that was made, pull it out, make sure
you code builds, then insert the new change, make sure it builds, etc.
revise and repeat until you have something you can ship.

First method takes about 2-3 minutes.

Second method takes however long it takes, and may introduce other
errors or issues.

The first method also means that if the patch changes something you need
to adhere for legal reasons (like, say, branding), you just pull that
patch from the spec file and it's a trivial exercise.