[CentOS] CentOS 6: Making KDE Default

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 10:58:38 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 5:38 AM, Devin Reade <gdr at gno.org> wrote:
> Jeremy Sanders <jeremy at jeremysanders.net> wrote:
>
>> Assuming it is the same as fedora, put the lines
>>
>> DESKTOP="KDE"
>> DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
>>
>> in /etc/sysconfig/desktop to change it for all users.
>
> IIRC, setting DESKTOP there only has an effect for new users; after
> someone has already logged in once then I think their default is set in
> some other state file in their home directory.  I'm afraid I don't
> remember the details on that, though.

The display manager is the same for all users. As for the desktop,
AFAIK it is controlled by the ~/.dmrc file, per user. For example, I
have the following:

$ cat ~/.dmrc

[Desktop]
Session=kde
Language=en_US.utf8
Layout=us

If there is no .dmrc file in the user's home directory, the setting
from /etc/sysconfig/desktop is used as a default.

HTH, :-)
Marko