[CentOS] Please confirm: Centos 6's Anaconda doesn't install i686 RPMs on x86_64 arch

Robinson Tiemuqinke hahaha_30k at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 8 22:17:16 UTC 2011

Hi all,

 I just like to confirm whether this is true: on x86_64 arch machines, Centos 6's anaconda/kickstart will install only noarch and x86_64 arches RPMs, and no i686 arch RPMs installed by default.  This seems like exactly different from Centos 5   --- Centos 5 anaconda/kickstart install all i[3,5,6]86, noarch, and x86_64.

I found the above fact from several Centos 6 kickstart installations, but like to get an 'official' confirmation from experts here, so to avoid the big mess on Centos 5 where I created my own installation repositories to filter out all i*86 and athelon RPMs for a 'pure' x86_64(&noarch) kickstart installation environment.

By the way, my Centos 6 installations show that yum with the default configuration will not install i686 packages on x86_64 arch as well.

Thanks a lot.

--Guolin