[CentOS] Postfix Question - CentOS 6

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Sat Sep 10 17:28:53 UTC 2011

On 9/9/2011 3:15 AM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
> John Hinton wrote:
>> /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
>>
>> It seems this must be owned by postfix but it was owned by root.
>>
>> So, can somebody check to see if this is there in a CentOS 6 Postfix
>> install where Amavis is not installed? And if so, what are the default
>> permissions?
> maybe try
> rpm -qf /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
> to see if it belongs to an rpm.
> You could then rpm -V that package if it exists.

OK... I found it.

In Dovecot master.conf, I enabled smtp-auth. Under that, it seems you
must set the user to postfix or each time you restart dovecot the auth
file is recreated and is owned by root... resulting in the failure. I
looked for the file earlier and it was not there. It seems to have
appeared due to enabling smtp-auth, but I did make other edits before
restarting the service.

Inside of service auth I have the following:

   # Postfix smtp-auth
     mode = 0666
     user = postfix
    }

I am considering adding group = postfix as well as the file is now group
root.

Thanks,
John Hinton