[CentOS] persistent custom lines in /etc/hosts?

wwp subscript at free.fr
Mon Sep 12 06:33:43 UTC 2011

Hello R,

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 17:15:02 -0700 "R - elists" <lists07 at abbacomm.net> wrote:

> > I've edited /etc/hosts to add few custom IP/hostnames couples.
> > After each reboot, I have to add them again. I've then added
> > /etc/sysconfig/network/hosts, but it seems to ignore it or at
> > least ignore 127.0.0.1 assignments I'm doing in it.
> >
> > Is there a mechanism I'm not aware of, or doing things wrong
> > to make my custom IP/hostnames assignments permanent after
> > network services restart?
> snip
> > wwp
>
> you didnt tell us much about your centos version etc so....
>
> is your networking set up statically, or is it dhcp dynamic.
>
> if the latter, then "possibly" that is part of the issue
>
> ive always noticed that files like /etc/resolv.conf and others can change in
> a generic dhcp environment
>
> ...one reason we setup almost everything statically

You're right, I'm sorry about this. It's CentOS6, DHCP setup.

When /etc/hosts is rewritten, it keeps the lines that describe remote
hosts (other but 127.0.0.1), but remove my custom assignments to
127.0.0.1, this is the point I'd like to solve. I have to say that the
aliases to 127.0.0.1 are defined on several lines (127.0.0.1 foo
bar\n127.0.0.1 a b c\n).

I've put in /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ a hosts file
with my custom lines in, but this apparently isn't enough.

Regards,

--
wwp