[CentOS] Cons of disabling *.i386 and *.i686 in a 64bit Distribution

James Nguyen james at callfire.com
Wed Sep 14 16:49:19 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 8:22 AM, Christopher Hawker <cwhawker1 at gmail.com>wrote:

> I could not see any issues with it. As you probably know i386 packages will
> work on an x86_64 install, and there are some packages written for i386 that
> you can't get for x86_64. You could disable it, but my system runs perfect
> with it.
>
> Yes I do know that i386 will run fine on x86_64.  The intentions is to only
install and run what I really need.  I'm already only installing the base
and @core packages during a kickstart, so I might as well try and keep it
all clean from the get-go, but noticed that some packages do creep in that
are not needed seeing there is an x86_64 equivalent.  =)

The packages that are only available via i386 are the ones I'll have to keep
indeed.  So the approach I took in excluding those packages would
immediately break on a yum update where their dependencies also need
upgrading.  I came across this moving from 5.6->5.7.

If there are any best practices approach someone has or some tips and
tricks.  I'd much appreciate the advice.  Given security concerns all
around, the slimmer my installs are the less I need to worry about some i386
binary that I don't need or nor run.  I treat my services the same.  If you
don't need it, don't run it. =)