[CentOS] Upgrade from 5.6 => 5.7

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Sep 15 12:16:07 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 04:07 +0100, Always Learning wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-09-14 at 19:17 -0700, Craig White wrote:
>
> ... snip interesting posting ....
>
> > WebApps are clearly the future - it's hard to justify specialized
> > server/client applications (installation, limited choice of clients,
> > maintenance, licensing) and it seems that the future will offer 2
> > choices... SAAS or run your own.
>
> That is the way I see things. Web runs anywhere. Otherwise specific
> application software (usually costing money), licensing involvement,
> software dependency etc. Grab a reasonable browser and start using the
> application!
>

> > My own take on it... 'plain html' accounting is just fine.
>
> Mine are a bit more than 'plain'. I use CSS. However accounting is
> basically entering or capturing the data; then doing basic tasks like
> orders, invoices, statements etc. Add some complicated things like
> credit control and specific discount structures for individual
> customers. Branch-out in to name, address and other contract details,
> add the mailing list facility. Add stock control, automatic re-ordering
> etc.
>
> The best bits that make the directors happy is when they can sit in
> front of the screen and see the sales figures and trends. Everything
> summarised on a single page with more detailed analyse with a simple
> click. Think Gmagic, or perhaps Imagic, may be able to plot on a HTML
> screen.
----
evidently not knowing what you are talking about and not ever having
actually done anything like it does not represent a barrier for you to
express your opinion on a subject...

Gmagic/Imagick are somewhat incapable of doing graphing at all. You
would likely use a flash or google charts implementation these days to
generate graphs as there are all sorts of libraries that make this dead
simple.
----
> >  Before you decide on an environment, you
> > would probably want to commit to test driven development and MVC which
> > almost invites the use of a framework (Cake/Django/RoR). Personally I am
> > biased towards RoR but starting a large scale project in ruby, php or
> > python without using one of the frameworks at this point would be a
> > really poor choice. There are a number of PHP based accounting systems
> > out there which you could probably fork but why? They all missed the
> > boat somewhere, somehow.
>
> Unsure what you mean by 'framework'.
----
Framework is the core of any application. It's well known terminology
for anyone who has done software development...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_framework

If you don't adopt an existing framework, then you have to create your
own framework as your application develops sucking an inordinate amount
of time and given to endless refactoring as your application evolves.

Recognize that by admitting you were unsure of what a framework is w/r/t
software development provides a clear recognition that you really don't
have any experience with software development.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model%E2%80%93view%E2%80%93controller
Anyone who has developed software that embraces MVC will never want to
work on a project that doesn't.
----

> Simple to write, harder to ensure everything integrates well. Probably 3
> to 4 months part-time. Easy and intuitive to use and delivering what the
> users want plus scope for customisation.
----
I'm sort of done with this thread. No reason to try to seriously discuss
something with someone who knows nothing about what they write.

Craig

believed to be clean.