[CentOS] trouble booting install CD on old machine

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu Sep 15 16:07:32 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 09:46:44AM -0400, fred smith wrote:

> Keith, I don't see that you identify what sort of old machine you're
> trying to use.

Ah, sorry: it's a beige box dual-core x86_64.  So I am guessing that...

> You should be aware that current versions of Centos/RHEL REQUIRE some
> flavor of i686-class processor at minimum. that means Pentium Pro/Pentium II
> or later.

...this doesn't apply; there were no such changes in the 64 bit branch,
were there?  I couldn't find anything in my searching yesterday.

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 01:06:01AM +1000, Christopher Hawker wrote:
> This is just a random idea, but could you have burned the cd at a
> speed higher than the optical drive can read? I burn all my software
> at 4x because i know it will then work in any and every machine.

That's a definite possibility!  The machine I used for burning is also
older, but its burner is definitely better than the drive on the target,
which can't even read DVDs (as I found out when I tried to boot a CentOS
5 DVD I already had).  I will try a new CD at a slower speed and see if
it helps--it's a very quick operation, so even if it fails it's not
much wasted time.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us