[CentOS] Upgrade from 5.6 => 5.7

Always Learning centos at u61.u22.net
Thu Sep 15 18:06:44 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 01:41 +0800, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:

> On 9/16/11, Always Learning <centos at u61.u22.net> wrote:
> >
> > select w1note from w1 where w1date = '$s5date' ....

> This looks rather similar to what I am doing nowadays instead of
> massive queries with sub-selects. Glad to see I'm not alone in this
> direction. Hopefully this is a case of great minds think alike than
> fools seldom differs! :D

It is surprising that some 'computer people' lack a logical insight into
their own work. One 'expert' wrote a single Cobol IF statement spanning
10 and a bit pages. 60 printed coding lines per page. He thought that
was 'great'. I shuddered and thought it was stupid.

At the same place, Schiphol Airport (Amsterdam), I was asked NOT to make
my programmes user-friendly and to remove user-friendly features from my
programmes because "If the users see them, they will ask us to put your
user-friendly improvements in our programmes".

The applications I wrote carried data from one screen to the next screen
and saved the worker having to re-enter the data. NVLS (the airport
authority) staff wanted their old system retained - the user having to
copy onto a piece of paper the essential data and type it in on the next
screen.  There was I thinking I had done a good job and the next minute
I was told to programme like a moron.

Sometimes well-paid contract work can make the contractor feel like a
prostitute.  Does one object to utter stupidity and walk-out or abandon
one's principals and stay ?

Paul.