[CentOS] This doesn't make sense

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sat Sep 17 17:35:16 UTC 2011

On 09/17/2011 12:25 PM, Thomas Dukes wrote:
> I get the 'Welcome' screen, I make the selection to install or upgrade, get
> to 'Loading vmlinuz..', then it hangs.

Edit that line, add 'debug' and 'text' to the boot line, see how far it
gets. Try to list the last 25 odd lines of the boot messages before you
assume its hanging.

Also, can you quantify what you consider 'hanging'. Was it stuck for 1
min, 15 min, 30 min.

If the kernel does not report something along the lines of 'this machine
does not support long mode', its highly probable that the cpu/bios are fine.

> Maybe the DVDs are bad. Can a 32 bit machine create a 64 bit install disc?

yes, 32bit host should be able to burn x86_64 media just fine. did you
sha sum check the isos files before trying to do the burn ? That would
be a good indicator about bad or incomplete data.

>> Finally, you mentioned 5.7 but didnt say what your test
>> results there were. Does the 5.7/x86_64 installer boot for
>> you ? if not, how far does it get ? is that about the same
>> point as the 6.0 installer ?
> I'm running 5.7 32 bit on 32 bit machines.

Well, since we are hoping to help you with the ts130, it would only
really be relevant if you were to try the 5.7/x86_64 installer on this
machine. If nothing else, as a data point to compare and test the
64bit'ness of this machine.

As a second data point, you could grab the c6/x86_64/livecd and see how
you get along with booting that.

- KB