[CentOS] PDF Reader/Editor for CentOS 5.7 (32 bit)?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Sep 20 14:42:16 UTC 2011

> On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:04:20 -0400
> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>
> > Lanny Marcus wrote:
> > > I had, in the past, a .pdf reader that also permitted me to fill in
> > > some information, when I received a .pdf file.
> > >
> > > I have KPDF installed, but that seems to only have Reader
> > > capability.
> > >
> > > Trying to install xpdf, with yum, I get this dependency error from
> > > rpmforge:
> > <snip>
> > Possibly evince, which may already be installed.
> >
> >          mark

> LibreOffice 3 comes with a PDF Import plugin which allows you to edit
> PDF's with draw and save as pdf.

I think what the OP wants is a program that can deal with the Adobe's
'Fill In Form' type of PDF.  The PDF Toolkit (I have
pdftk-1.12-1.el4.rf.i386.rpm on my system -- for CentOS 4 and don't
know if a el5 version exists) has a CLI program that can do this (you
need to dump the form information and create a FDF file).  Otherwise, I
believe Adobe's Reader is the only program available that does this
with a GUI.  I don't believe xpdf can do this and what OpenOffice /
LibreOffice do is something else (an import of the PDF in the writer
tool as a word processing document or something, which can then be
edited and re-exported as a PDF).