[CentOS] Installation of 6.0

Emmanuel Noobadmin centos.admin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 19:15:08 UTC 2011

On 9/21/11, Al Sparks <data345 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Some observations.
>
> When I installed 6.0 (base install), the installation interface did not
> guide me through a network configuration.  I do static IP addresses, not
> DHCP.

IIRC, it's in this small unobstrusive rectangular box that says "Setup
Networking" or something like that in the lower left corner in the
screen that ask for hostname. I'm not sure if this was the way
upstream or adjustments made by the CentOS devs, but I'm guessing that
the assumption is most people are going for DHCP-based installs so it
saves some time.

> Anyway, I wasn't able to find a configuration program like "netconfig" to
> help me out.  Seems like a pretty big omission.
>
> Any thoughts?  Am I missing something?

I think it's been mentioned that was taken out. In any case, I've been
getting used to turning off NetworkManager and editing ifcfg-xxx and
/etc/resolv. Compared to obscurities like samba and libvirt, I'll say
these are pretty doable in nano.