[CentOS] Ekiga - camera

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Sep 21 18:54:45 UTC 2011

Johan Vermeulen wrote:

> when first installing CentOs some 6 months ago, I noticed this strange
> thing called Ekiga.
<snip>
> # yum search V4L2

That's video4linux, btw.

> with epel testing enabled.
>
> #dmesg | tail -n15 shows :
<snip>
> still in Ekiga i get error message ( translated from Dutch) :
>
> an error occurred with video device UVC Camera (046d:0819)
> an error occurred when opening the device
> blahblahbla
> check access rights or driver.
>
> under System - Preferences I can't find anything configurable ( is that
> even English ?)

Perfectly good English. And it did tell you the problem: access rights.
Look at the driver - it might be /dev/video or /dev/video0 - and check the
permissions. It may be installed, but only root has rw privileges. If
that's the case, one option would be to make it owned by root, but group
motion, and add yourself to that group.

         mark