[CentOS] Ekiga - camera

ken gebser at mousecar.com
Wed Sep 21 22:21:19 UTC 2011

On 09/21/2011 03:34 PM Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2011, Johan Vermeulen wrote:

>> From: Johan Vermeulen <jvermeulen at cawdekempen.be>
>> Subject: [CentOS] Ekiga - camera
>>

>> dear All,
>>
>> when first installing CentOs some 6 months ago, I noticed
>> this strange thing called Ekiga.
>>
>> Now, some guys at work use Skype and I heard that's owned
>> by Microsoft. So enter James.
>>
>> I bought a webcam, actualy 2, to test Ekiga. Logitech
>> Webcam c210. I saw this url
>> :http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/ on this url
>> :http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList/Webcams
>> and in short : I think I have the driver i need --V4L2--
>> on my Centos6 machine.

> "However, the current Linux 2.6.26 kernel and newer includes
> the Linux UVC driver natively. So you will not need to
> download and compile any driver module source if you
> purchase a UVC compatible webcam. It should be Plug-n-Play
> like any other USB device"

Back when I was handsome I used a webcam.  It was a long time ago but I
remember one test was to do "cat /dev/video0"... or some other device
(if dmesg and /var/log/messages don't say).  If you selected the correct
device and had the permissions (you could try the command as a regular
user or as root), that command would spew out (garbage) characters to
the terminal while the cam was moving and seem to pause when the cam
wasn't moving and pointed at nothing moving.  Ctrl-C or Ctrl-D gave the
shell prompt back (as we'd expect).

hth,
k.