[CentOS] How to update CentOS 5.4 to 5.6?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Sep 23 13:17:35 UTC 2011

On 09/22/2011 06:20 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 12:37 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

>>> crap ... the 5.6 files are still there .. just change the baseurl like
>>> john doe wrote and you'll get an update to 5.6
>>
>> no, they aren't.
>>
>> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5.6/
>>
>> empty.  except a readme file telling you to look in /5/ instead, which
>> has the 5.7 stuff in it.
>>

> Why would the 5.6 stuff have been removed?
>
> Apart from the "5.7 is more secure" answer, or even "we're running out
> of disk space", what is the actual reason behind this?
>
> surely a few versions of the OS won't take up that much space? 1TB &
> 2TB HDD's these day cost a few dollars so I don't think that's the
> real reason. And it can't be bandwidth either since the files are
> mirrored to many other servers around the globe.

As far as the amount of data that we are talking about ...

3 releases (4.9, 5.7, 6.0) are right now 105GB.

So that is 35GB per tree.

If you just did that same amount for 9 version 4's, 7 version 5's and 3
version 6's ... that would be 19 ... so lets call it 20 ... trees.

20 x 35 GB is 700GB

or ~7x the amount we currently have

It would also take 7x more bandwidth and 7x more time to move the trees
around.