[CentOS] This doesn't make sense

Emmanuel Noobadmin centos.admin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 17:08:24 UTC 2011

On 9/24/11, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> I can tell you that we are building 6.x stuff for QA now and have been
> for several weeks.

I'm not personally unhappy with the devs over the situation since I
pretty much didn't plan on any critical C6 installations until 6.1
comes out. So with just one testing/internal-only C6 server, these
security issues are largely not a non-concern for me.

So just voicing my 2 bits worth...

As with the 6.0 release, the problem I see is a lack of communication
rather than the actual speed of release. The qaweb was a nice step
forward in the weeks before 6.0, then right after the 6.0 release, it
became for all practical purposes dead.

With the 6.0, I think most of us could understand and accept that it's
an entirely new environment. But why is 6.1 taking so much longer,
especially the CR which was mentioned to become available within days?
More so since it appears that most of the 6.1 packages are built and
ready.

It probably would had been OK if there was a follow up that simply
stated there were unexpected issues and the CR could not be roll out
anytime soon. Otherwise there are some that likely took the dev's word
for it that at least critical security updates would be available
through CR and so 6.0 is OK to go.

In summary: please make use of the existing QAWeb and Communicate with
the Community.