[CentOS] CentOS-6 by PXEboot?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Sep 23 20:40:53 UTC 2011

Paul Heinlein wrote:

> I really just followed my procedure for netbooting CentOS 5, but
> changed the directory paths.
>
>   0. Set up local http mirror of CentOS 6
>   1. Set up tftp server; make CentOS 6 pxe kernel and initrd.img
>      available
>   2. Use PXE menu to point to right kernel, initrd.img, and boot
>      options
>   3. Set up DHCP server to point to the correct next-server and
>      filename

That's essentially what I did.
I just tried it again, and I saw that it halted at
"waiting for hardware to initialize...",
so maybe it is a hardware issue.
I was trying to install CentOS-6.0 on an HP MicroServer.
(As I explained, after trying PXEboot I actually installed it
by using a USB stick.)

The strange thing is that it succeeded with CentOS-5.6,
on the same machine, and I don't see any relevant difference.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net