[CentOS] 6.1 Release

Emmanuel Noobadmin centos.admin at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 02:44:05 UTC 2011

On 9/24/11, TE Dukes <tdukes at palmettoshopper.com> wrote:
> OK,
>
> So how can we help getting CentOS 6.1 released? This is a "Community"
> project. I'm not a programmer, IT person but I do ask a lot of help from
> this list. What do we need to do or how can the 'average person' help? Can
> you send us some files to test? What? I'd like to help but don't know how.

Based on what I remember of past responses, the short answer is: nothing.

By the time the devs are already spinning the release, they don't have
time to get new people familiarized with the process so they are only
willing to do it during the lull period between releases.

You could start by getting familiar with development process by taking
on a specific module as a personal interest. Maybe starting from doing
a howto/wiki, then beta testing new releases for that module, moving
on to submitting patches and by the end of a couple of years you would
probably be expert enough to help take on the entire module for CentOS
7. But this of course won't help get 6.1 out the door faster.

Besides that, the average person could make the next release better
(but not faster) by testing the RHEL beta or Fedora, filing bug
reports and generally make the whole distribution better. But this
won't get CentOS out the door faster.