[CentOS] I can't connect to /dev/ttyS0

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Sun Sep 25 10:17:01 UTC 2011

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011, Michel Donais wrote:

> From: Michel Donais <donais at telupton.com>
> Subject: [CentOS] I can't connect to /dev/ttyS0
>
> The computer is an HP Proliant DC7600S.
> O/S: Centos 5.7
>
> I try to connect minicom or Hylafax to /dev/ttyS0 and I can't reach the
> modem.
>
> Can somebody had this problem and find a solution?

Hello Michel.

You first need to double-check that /dev/ttyS0 is actually
the correct serial COM port you have the modem connected to.

I've know the COM port numbers to mysteriously change
for some reason. My APC UPS was connected and working on
/dev/ttyS1 and it stopped working recently. The serial COM
port has changed for some reason to /dev/ttyS0. So I had to
edit the config file and stop and restart apcupsd, and it's
working fine again now.

Please look under System->Hardware and then click the
16550A-compatible COM port in the LH pane.

Then in the RH pane click on 'Advanced', and find the
serial.device string or linux.device_file.

This will be something like:

linux.device_file  strlist /dev/ttySx where x == 0|1|2|3
serial.device      strlist /dev/ttySx where x == 0|1|2|3

Make sure this is the same as what you are trying to connect to.

Here's a screenshot of Device Manager showing my COM port
settings:

http://oi56.tinypic.com/2a7h1sp.jpg

If nothing shows under Device Manager settings, please check
you have your serial COM ports turned on in your BIOS
settings at reboot time :)

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: