[CentOS] ssh reverse DNS failure

Timothy Murphy

gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Sep 25 12:13:52 UTC 2011

I use dyndns's (free) service to access a remote machine
with a dynamic IP address.
The machine is running under CentOS-6.0.

I can ssh into the address given me by dyndns (*.homelinux.com),
but when I do this I get the warning
"reverse mapping checking getaddrinfo for" *
  "failed - POSSIBLE BREAK-IN ATTEMPT!"

This doesn't really matter,
as I normally use OpenVPN for accessing this site -
the dyndns method is a safety precaution in case openvpn doesn't work.

But I'm wondering if it is possible to stop the warning?
I've tried various recipes google gave me,
eg adding "UseDNS no" to /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the remote machine
(and re-starting sshd),
but none of them has worked,

--
Timothy Murphy