[CentOS] This doesn't make sense

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Sep 26 10:40:42 UTC 2011

On Saturday, September 24, 2011 06:34:15 AM Christopher Chan wrote:
> Ah...you're supposed to use do-release-upgrade and not 'apt dist-upgrade'

If that is what is called by the gui distribution upgrade button, it has done similar things to a few installs I have had to repair.

> Ubuntu ain't Debian. It's something worse and requires uber hacks to get
> around crap. Them uber hacks are loaded in do-release-upgrade.

Been there, broke that.

> Pound Ubuntu properly pal. Giving examples of unsupported processes
> ain't pounding it properly.

TMTOWTDI.

If it's not supported it shouldn't be enabled and easily (ab)used.  This is part of the reason you have to add a boot argument to get CentOS to do a version upgrade; it's known to not work properly, and thus is semi-hidden.