[CentOS] add on sata card relabeling drives, installation

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 01:24:39 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Bob Hoffman <bob at bobhoffman.com> wrote:
> Craig,
>
> I think you misunderstand. It is just the lettering. The extra sata card
> is not going to be booted from. The bios only sets the
> boot order, not which drive letter linux is going to assign it.
> it is the drive letters that just annoy me and was hoping for an easy
> changeable fix. I was surprised anaconda installer
> had no option to change them.
>
> It is like installing windows on your f drive and having c and d as
> storage drives...just rubs ya wrong.
>
> It boots fine from sdc with or without card in it...it is centos
> labeling based on how it looks at the hardware.
> Apparently an add on sata card comes first in the order linux analyzes
> the system.

If you are doing raid, once the partitions are set up you will only
see /dev/md? device names except in madam commands or when looking at
/proc/mdstat. And you can move the drives around later so the actual
device names would be different without affecting the  md assemblies.
 I think you are being a little picky....  You could always move the
controller cables around, but I'm not sure there is any guarantee that
the drives will be detected in the same order every time.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com