[CentOS] Running Apache sites as separate users

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 15:21:21 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 10:06 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

>>> I had a recent request to improve security on my web servers by having
>>> each website use a different user to run the hosting service.  So
>>> example1.comhas it's own Apache instance running as apache1 and then
>>> example2.com has its own instance of Apache as apache2.  Is this even
>>> possible or realistic?  I understand the idea of how that would be
>>> secure, much like creating a virtual machine to segregate services.
>>> The only way I can think how this is done is to chroot each website.
>>> What makes this request even stranger is that each website will be
>>> managed by the same CMS and code base.  So with that being the case,
>>> I don't see how this is possible.  Any ideas or insight are very welcome.
>>
>> Used to do that a lot on FreeBSD.  It was just a virtual host.
>> We used separate IPs for each virtual host, but there are ways
>> to do it with name based virtual hosts.  I think name based VH
>> didn't work with https though.
>
> I think Trey needs to push back - *IF* I understand him correctly, it
> sounds like duplicate websites, but running as different users.  That, to
> me, literally makes no sense...mmmm, unless a) the source of the request
> doesn't understand what he wants, or b) there's something illegal going
> on, and users going to a different site have different things happening,
> based on data/database content.
>
> Clarifications would be helpful.

Yes, a real 'user' oriented concept could use the public_html
directory out of their home directory.  But since a CMS is mentioned,
the data may in fact all live in a database with the link controlling
permissions based on the web server's configuration where the db
login/password is set up.  So besides the reverse proxy to multiple
web servers it might also need multiple databases set up, each with a
different name and credentials.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com