[CentOS] Running Apache sites as separate users

Michael Crilly mrcrilly at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 18:49:22 UTC 2011

I'm not sure why you would want each website on its own Apache process (as
that just isn't needed), but some of the ideas here are a bit...
over-the-top.

There are a few options of improving the security of your Apache setup. You
can use something like FastCGI based PHP applications or suPHP; both FastCGI
and suPHP will enable Apache to drop down to a lower privileged user when
accessing a website. This basically eliminates the chance that one website
being hacked means all your websites being hacked. The reason for this is
because the ownership of each website will be the user who owns the website.
So in an example example1.com would be owned by example_user_1 and as such,
the ownership of the files would be something like:
example_user_1:example_user_1 and rw-r--r--.

You don't really need to go beyond this to "secure" each site.

I hope this helps.