[CentOS] Urgent help on replacing /var

Emmanuel Noobadmin

centos.admin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 10:24:46 UTC 2012

In a moment of epic stupidity, having ran out of space on the root
partition of a server due to /var chewing up the space, I added a
separate drive for the purpose of mounting it as /var

To do so, I mounted the new drive as /var2, cp -R (in hindsight should
had rsync to preserve attributes), deleted the original /var to free
up space, edited fstab and rebooted... unsurprisingly to a fubar'd
server.

The thing is it still boots, I can get into single user mode but a
full init get stuck at starting the syslogger. What is the best way to
rescue the server now from my own stupidity and keeping all the
existing configuration and data?