[CentOS] compare zfs xfs and jfs o

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 03:26:57 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 4:48 PM, ashkab rahmani <ashkan82r at gmail.com> wrote:
> thank you very much. what  do you think abou jfs??
> is it comparable  with others??

I was very pro-JFS... until I lost 10gig of very important data, and
back then (2002) there was no way to recover a JFS volume (the data
was in RAID, but some corruption ocurred and I lost the whole drive, I
mean, I ended up with a blank root).

Back in 2004 I asked one of the IBMers at the JFS team about it and he
had this to say:

-----
"IBM will continue to invest in jfs as long as we feel that our customers get
value from it."

Q: Will JFS be enhanced eventually with features from ReiserFS 4? (can it
be done without a complete rewrite?).

"Possibly some.  Samba has been asking for streams support for a while,
and if reiser4 leads the way in an implementation that does not break
unix file semantics, jfs (and possibly other file systems) may follow."

-----

Dunno if IBM did much to JFS after that... haven´t been following
their work wrt JFS...

FC