[CentOS] compare zfs xfs and jfs o

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Sun Aug 5 10:06:21 UTC 2012

John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> Theres one big issue with NFS that requires a workaround... XFS requires
> 64 bit inodes on a large file system ('inode64'), and by default, NFS
> wants to use the inode as the unique ID for the export, this doesn't
> work as that unique ID has to be 32 bits, so you have to manually
> specify a unique identifier for each share from a given server.   I

This is wrong.

Your claim is aproximately correct for NFSv2 (1988) but wrong for other NFS
versions.

On NFSv2, te file handle is not able to handle more than 32 bit inode numbers.

NFSv3 changed this (I believe this is from 1990).

Unfortunately, NFSv2 and NFSv3 have been implemented in the same server/client
code an thus it was not recommended to use large NFS file handles to retain
NFSv2 compatibility.

NFSv4 (since 2004) by default uses large NFS filehandles.

Your problem may be caused by the quality of the NFS code in Linux, so it is
worth to make a bug report.

Jörg