[CentOS] SSH prompt: Need advise from Japan

Ross Cavanagh ross.cav at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 11:54:30 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 11:10:40AM +0800, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I hope there is someone in Japan.
> > If we install Centos in Japanese, and then I ssh to it from an English
> > client. Will the SSH prompt be in Japanese?
>
> My guess--it's a bit late to test it tonight---is that as long as your
> terminal can handle Japanese you should be alright.
>
> That is, it's probably easiest to, while running X, use a terminal
> emulated, e.g., uxterm or urxvt (rxvt-unicode), and check the LC_CTYPE.
>  Generally, something like
> LC_CTYPE=en_US-UTF-8 will be able to read Japanes, but it will probably
> also depend upon the LC_CTYPE settings on the remote machine.
>
> As English is my first language, I've never quite had to do it that way,
> but at times, have had to remotely read emails in mutt using Japanese.

You're prompt will reference whatever the hostname is doesn't it? I'm
located in Tokyo, I haven't setup any servers with Japanese hostnames
actually, but on occasion some filenames are written in Japanese. What is
it you wanted to see exactly? It also depends on the keyboard setup you
have set to the default. Most people in Japan set the keyboard to a US
style - where they enter romaji, and don't usually enter the kana from the
different keyboard layout. So, you type the roman characters ra for example
to make ら, but there is a Japanese keyboard layout where you can type the ら
character directly - but I never really see that used.

So, as far as I know, you'll be using whatever input methods you actually
have on your local system where you're ssh'ing from. So, if you needed to
write Japanese input you'd need some local IME on your particular system.