[CentOS] SSH prompt: Need advise from Japan

Ross Cavanagh ross.cav at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 12:12:52 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri at arinet.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Ross Cavanagh <ross.cav at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > You're prompt will reference whatever the hostname is doesn't it? I'm
> > located in Tokyo, I haven't setup any servers with Japanese hostnames
> > actually, but on occasion some filenames are written in Japanese. What is
> > it you wanted to see exactly? It also depends on the keyboard setup you
> > have set to the default. Most people in Japan set the keyboard to a US
> > style - where they enter romaji, and don't usually enter the kana from
> the
> > different keyboard layout. So, you type the roman characters ra for
> example
> > to make ら, but there is a Japanese keyboard layout where you can type
> the ら
> > character directly - but I never really see that used.
> >
> > So, as far as I know, you'll be using whatever input methods you actually
> > have on your local system where you're ssh'ing from. So, if you needed to
> > write Japanese input you'd need some local IME on your particular system.
>
> Hi Ross, thanks for your time. What I want to know is, during the
> initial ssh login.
> Will it display the dialogue fully in Japanese? e.g. fajar at 8.8.8.8's
> password: (will it be in Japanese?)
>
> As far as I'm aware, you would be seeing virtually everything in English
as the directory structures are in English. Usually people's home
directories are setup in English, I don't think I've ever come across a
user login that does use Japanese actually (not sure if you can - otherwise
your SSH connection you'd have to match you user name - eg. Ross would be
my katakana name, ロス@8.8.8.8 - don't even know it's possible). I've worked
at one Japanese company as the only foreigner, and all others companies
have been international ones - but everyone uses Roman characters for their
logins and not kana or kanji.

Same with passwords.

Usually, on systems I've seen in Japan most of the time files and folders
are creating using Roman characters for naming (most of the time). Within a
document, of course it could be written 100% in Japanese. Some folders and
files can be in Japanese, so it can be hard to navigate through some
directories if you don't have any IME tools for Japanese input. Lots of tab
autocomplete and copy and pasting at times - but that's usually within a
home directory for a user for example.