[CentOS] compare zfs xfs and jfs o

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Mon Aug 6 22:44:25 UTC 2012

On 8/4/2012 9:21 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> ext4 is the OS that RHEL and Fedora support as
> their main file system.  I would (and do) use that.  The 6.3 kernel does
> support xfs and CentOS has the jfs tools in our extras directory, but I
> like tried and true over experimental.

xfs still has at least one big advantage over ext4 on EL6, AFAIK:
supporting filesystems over 16 TB.

I am aware that ext4 is supposed to support 1 EiB filesystems[1], but
due to a bug in e2fsprogs 1.41 (what EL6 ships) there is an artificial
16 TB limit[2].

I know we all like to pride ourselves on "stable" package versions, but
this bug was fixed in the very next feature release of e2fsprogs, 1.42.
  Johnny, do you have any insight into why upstream isn't making an
exception here, as they have for, say, Firefox?  Surely they aren't
going to hold it for EL7 and tout it as a "feature"?

Perhaps I am being unfair.  Did they backport the bug fix only, and my
failure to mkfs.ext4 a 22 TB partition was due to some other problem?

If someone wants me to try something, it'll have to wait at least a few
weeks.  That's the earliest I'm likely to have a > 16 TB RAID sitting
around ready to be nuke-and-paved at a whim.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext4
[2] http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/e2fsprogs-release.html#1.42