[CentOS] compare zfs xfs and jfs o

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Aug 8 13:17:34 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-08-04 at 10:21 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 08/04/2012 09:36 AM, ashkab rahmani wrote:
> > thank you. very usefull
> > i think i'll try btrfs or jfs,
> > i'll send you btrfs result for you.

> Personally, I would use ext4 ... faster is not always better.

+1  ext4 is 'plenty good', bullet proof, and robustly supported.

What ext4 suffers most from is hangover impressions of its quality that
have followed it from early ext3 [even later versions of ext3 were
considerably better than early ext3;  especially with the introduction
of dir_index that solved a lot of big-folders-are-very-slow problems].

ext4 uses extents, just like XFS.  It can pre-allocate just like XFS.
It does delated allocation, like XFS.

If you want really good performance than putting your journal external
to the filesystem, preferably on really fast storage, will probably help
more than anything else.  Certainly more than type-of-filesystem.