[CentOS] Update to EL 6.3 breaks TCP NFS automounts

Calvin Webster cwebster at ec.rr.com
Thu Aug 9 12:00:08 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-08-09 at 10:35 +0100, Lars Hecking wrote:
> > Environment
> >
> >     Red Hat Enterprise Linux(RHEL) 6.3
> >     autofs-5.0.5-54.el6.x86_64
> >
> > This leads me to believe that upstream is aware of this issue and
> > someone there is working on a fix.
>
>  I was reading your posts with Joerg Schillings comments on Linux NFS (in
>  the zfs/xfs/jfs thread) still in the back of my head, for some reason ;)
>
>  The changelog entries in upstream's autofs rpm go back thirteen years.
>  One would expect some measure of maturity and stability here, yet autofs
>  is a frequent source of problems. I remember another major problem we ran
>  into somewhere around CentOS 5.2 or 5.3.

I do see maturity and a great many improvement but I must agree that
comparing the change log to bug reports seems to indicate a level of
instability. There do seem to be a great many bugs that dump core but
this may be the nature of the beast when interacting with the Linux
kernel, a constantly moving target. I'm not one to criticize but if
software in our organization repeatedly produced segfaults, I'd suggest
that developers look closely at improving error traps and handling
and/or analyze faults to see if patterns or trends emerge. Still, there
are enough alternatives and security features in EL to mitigate most
problems.