[CentOS] Missing dependency in C6 ISO

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sun Aug 12 03:58:49 UTC 2012

On 08/11/2012 07:30 PM, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> Greetings,

>>> KB: I assume this was done for some useful purpose, not simply to
>>> make sure nobody can install everything if they want to...
>> Right, its based on duplicate functionality. in some cases ( like
>> sendmail + postfix ) you can indeed install both. But in others, you cant.
>>
>>> back in the RH5/6 days (not RHEL) I used to commonly choose an
>>> "everything" installation. now that the distribution is so big
>>> I don't even try, anymore.
>> yeah, and the idea of 'everything' is a bit odd given that you can now
>> include external repos - so you might get an everything install that
>> brings in 12,000 rpms - runs for 3 days to get done - and needs 50GB of
>> disk space :)..
>>
> Thanks KB, for the explanation.
>
> I will be more careful this time around.
>
> The missing dependency  I was talking about was about :
>
> /quote
> ** Found 1 pre-existing rpmdb problem(s), 'yum check' output follows:
> 1:emacs-23.1-21.el6_2.3.x86_64 has missing requires of libotf.so.0()(64bit)
> /unquote
>
> I got this error when trying to install scribus

The actual problem is that there are 3 things that provide libotf.so.0
and one of them is openmpi-psm.  There is a newer version of openmpi
that obsoletes that rpm and yum can handle it, but anaconda can not
handle that obsolete. Because of that, it breaks the installation.

This issue should be taken care of on the 6.4 ISOs.

So, if you do not install openmpi items, you should be OK.