[CentOS] vi defaults in 6.x

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Aug 20 15:21:58 UTC 2012

Joerg Schilling wrote:
> William Hooper <whooperhsd at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Joerg Schilling
>> <Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
>> >
>> > Of course

>> > You seem to missunderstand that there is a program called "vi" and
>> > another program called "vim".
>>
>> Not on a standard CentOS system.
>>
>> [whooper at chef ~]$ /bin/vi --version
>> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Apr  5 2012 10:17:55)
>
> This just verifies that you don't have a vi.

This just verifies that you're playing word games. If you want vi that's
not vim, may I ask which *version* of vi you would consider to be vi - one
from, say, Sun OS 3? Or from the Irix that ran on our Indigo in the
early/mid-nineties? or one from Tru-64 in the late nineties? or were you
insisting on one that ran on a system from the early-to-mid-eighties?

       mark