[CentOS] Centos machine sometimes unreachable

Richard Reina

gatorreina at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 13:01:45 UTC 2012

I have a simple perl script that every few hours pings the handful of
machines on my LAN. Lately I've sometimes been getting

ping of 192.168.0.1 succeeded
ping of 192.168.0.7 succeeded
ping of 192.168.0.5 FAILED
ping of 192.168.0.6 succeeded
ping of 192.168.0.9 succeeded

  This machine in question has been running Centos faithfully for about six
years and no recent changes to it have been made. When I try and ping the
machine manually it works.   /var/og/messages does not seem irregular. Does
anyone know know what might be the problem or what else I might check?

Thanks,

Richard