[CentOS] Centos machine sometimes unreachable

Götz Reinicke goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Wed Aug 22 13:08:39 UTC 2012

Am 22.08.12 15:01, schrieb Richard Reina:
> I have a simple perl script that every few hours pings the handful of
> machines on my LAN. Lately I've sometimes been getting
>
> ping of 192.168.0.1 succeeded
> ping of 192.168.0.7 succeeded
> ping of 192.168.0.5 FAILED
> ping of 192.168.0.6 succeeded
> ping of 192.168.0.9 succeeded
>
>   This machine in question has been running Centos faithfully for about six
> years and no recent changes to it have been made. When I try and ping the
> machine manually it works.   /var/og/messages does not seem irregular. Does
> anyone know know what might be the problem or what else I might check?

Recently I was faced with a similar problem (cant ping a device from
time to time which was not touched for about two years...). My solution:
check the lan cabel.

The system I had problems with had been standing in the sun behind a
window and the lan cabel was 'melting' and did not fit properly into the
adapter.

my2cents.

--
Götz Reinicke . Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH