[CentOS] Order of sata/sas raid cards

Adrian Sevcenco Adrian.Sevcenco at cern.ch
Thu Aug 23 14:09:47 UTC 2012

On 08/23/12 15:01, Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:
> Hi Adrian
Hi!

> yes this will do.
> Because I do not know (yet) the UUID of the new partitions (drives),
> if I specify the UUID for the known drives for the partitions
> the kernel will assign the new drives to higher sdx?
AFAIK the sdX names are given by the bios so this is why when new
hardware is addend and/or something is change hardware-wise the sdX
nomenclature is changed.
If you decide to use UUID nomenclature you should use it for ALL
disks/partitions .. for centos that menas the beside fstab to modify
grub to have something like root=UUID= in kernel command line from grub.
IMHO the easiest way to change all to UUID is to boot a live-cd find out
all UUIDs and modify the fstab and grub accordingly.
I dont know about root(hd0,0) .. i have the grub and / installed on an
disk which by system is recognized as /dev/sdc and in grub.conf i have
hd(2,msdos1)

HTH,
Adrian