[CentOS] Order of sata/sas raid cards

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Aug 23 14:57:11 UTC 2012

Adrian Sevcenco wrote:
> On 08/23/12 17:41, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Adrian Sevcenco wrote:
>>> On 08/23/12 15:01, Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> I dont know about root(hd0,0) .. i have the grub and / installed on an
>>> disk which by system is recognized as /dev/sdc and in grub.conf i have
>>> hd(2,msdos1)
>>>
>> Ok... to follow myself up, I started looking. There is zero indication
>> in any manpage about the syntax you use. After doing some googling, I
>> finally found
>> <http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Device-syntax>, and
>> geez, the Gnu documentation is *dreadful* - why isn't there a syntax
>> description for the root line of a grub entry? Then I found the above,
>> which is *not* with the root directive, and they give examples including
>> msdos1, msdos5, but with no explanation of what those names are -
>> labels? the first and fifth partitions that are msdos format?
>>
>> As I said in my previous post, I've never seen anything like that - it's
>> always
>> root (hdx,y).
> err, sorry that was my mistake ... i copy pasted from wrong terminal
> (from my desktop fedora 16 grub 2 instead from the centos server where i
> look initially)

Oh, no problem. I can't see how you could *possibly* have copied from the
wrong term (says the guy with seven open for use, sudo -s on three, and
one for later use for streaming media....)

> so, to wrap things up: on my centos 5 storage i have root (hd0,0)
> that stayed the same no matter how many block devices i added or removed
> from my hardware card... but in fstab i use only UUIDs

Yup, what we've got. As I said, though, I hate UUIDs - for any non-RAIDed
drives, we *always* label them, indicative of where they mount. That way,
we all know what's expected, where a UUID tells you nothing of what it is.

      mark