[CentOS] Centos machine sometimes unreachable

Richard Reina gatorreina at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 18:45:34 UTC 2012

2012/8/22 Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 8:01 AM, Richard Reina <gatorreina at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I have a simple perl script that every few hours pings the handful of
> > machines on my LAN. Lately I've sometimes been getting
> >
> > ping of 192.168.0.1 succeeded
> > ping of 192.168.0.7 succeeded
> > ping of 192.168.0.5 FAILED
> > ping of 192.168.0.6 succeeded
> > ping of 192.168.0.9 succeeded
> >
> >   This machine in question has been running Centos faithfully for about
> six
> > years and no recent changes to it have been made. When I try and ping the
> > machine manually it works.   /var/og/messages does not seem irregular.
> Does
> > anyone know know what might be the problem or what else I might check?
> >

> What does ethtool say about your duplex setting

Here is the output from ethtool

 Settings for eth0:
         Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
         Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
         Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
         Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
         Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
         Speed: 100Mb/s
         Duplex: Full
         Port: MII
         PHYAD: 1
         Transceiver: internal
         Auto-negotiation: on
         Supports Wake-on: g
         Wake-on: g
         Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
         Link detected: yes

THe switch is a linksys etherfast 3124 that has worked perfectly for 10
years. I don't know anything about it's settings. This is a LAN with about
a dozen machines.

Thanks