[CentOS] Order of sata/sas raid cards

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Aug 24 14:24:11 UTC 2012

Ken godee wrote:
> I've done that before to get some old data off a drive and
> the system appended a "1" to all matching label names.
>
> On 8/23/2012 5:42 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
>> On 08/23/12 4:15 PM, Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:
>>> I will try the LABEL way of doing ....
>>
>> the problem with labels, there's no guarantee they will be unique.  the
>> default labels that the centos installer uses are the same on every
>> system, so if you plug a drive into another computer, the odds are
>> pretty high there will be a collision.

I'll step into this again: let's look at the context.

1. a drive's failed. No conflict.
2. a server's failed, and you want something off one of its disks:
     a) you put it in a hot swap bay, and aren't rebooting the server -
           you are going to be manually mounting it, so no conflict
     b) you need to replace the server in -10 sec: you throw the drive(s)
           into a standby box, and either
          i. it's got partitions labelled /boot and /; fine, you
              *want* it to use those
          ii. you want a drive from another disk on that failed
               system: no problem - see 2.a.
     c) you have a system without hot swap bays, and you install
          the drive from the failed system, and then you do have to
          power up; this is the only case I can think of, off the
          top of my head where you have a collision. In this case,
          you need linux rescue, and relabel.

So, where's the big issue with std. labels?

       mark