[CentOS] I cannot find the package: kernel-headers-2.6.32-71.29.1 in centos mirror list

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Aug 27 13:55:00 UTC 2012

On Monday, August 27, 2012 05:31:12 AM Kris zhang wrote:
> You are right, Thomas. i want to find the kernel-headers firstly, and then
> i will find the kernel-devel. and the kernel-headers is needed by gcc.
>
> I have a question: is it ok if the version of kernel-header and
> kernel-devel are not same?

As you have been told, you really need to get on CentOS6 Update 3 (aka, 6.3) for security update purposes.  Having said that, I'll address the rest of the list by saying that we do not know the particular requirements of the OP, and it is pretty clear from the thread that the OP does not have the discretion to do the update and must get approval from higher-ups.  This sort of situation happens, and telling the OP to update, without addressing the actual question as well, is useless.  The OP's higher-ups may have very particular reasons to want/need the older version, and we are not in a position to tell them that they are wrong; sure, staying current is the normally right thing to do, but there is a reason that Scientific Linux differs from CentOS is this respect, allowing people to take only security updates but stay at a particular point release.  It makes their process more complicated, but it is their goal.  Now, neither in my personal use of CentOS nor in my work use of CentOS have I yet found a need to stick to a particular point release, but that doesn't mean that a valid need to stick to a particular point release does not exist.  If I were to find that I needed to stick to a point release for some reason, I'd probably use SL for that particular purpose and CentOS for the other systems.

Now, to actually answer the OP's questions.....

I believe, but am not sure, that you do need the same versions of kernel-devel and kernel-headers and they must match the kernel version that you're using.

You can get this older version of kernel-headers at:
http://vault.centos.org/6.0/updates/x86_64/RPMS/kernel-headers-2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64.rpm

The matching kernel-devel is at:
http://vault.centos.org/6.0/updates/x86_64/RPMS/kernel-devel-2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64.rpm