[CentOS] Log viewing and analysis tools

Joseph Spenner joseph85750 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 28 15:49:12 UTC 2012

From: David McGuffey <davidmcguffey at verizon.net>

To: centos at centos.org
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 2:51 AM
Subject: [CentOS] Log viewing and analysis tools

> I have a requirement to allow our security officer to regularly view and
> analyze the logging and auditing results of one of the machines in our
> lab.  He comes from the Microsoft Windows world and is not a *nix
> trained person.
>
> I know I can configure logwatch. I can also create a script containing
> various 'aureport' runs into a cron job.
>
> Any recommendations for a GUI-based tool that would be easy for him to
> learn?
>
> Dave M

===
Dave:
  I've been using a free solution called LogAnalyzer, and am pretty happy with it:

http://loganalyzer.adiscon.com/

It has a web interface, and uses a database to store all the log info.  It can be easily accessed, given specific filtered queries, etc.
Check out the "Online Demo" page to see how it looks.