[CentOS] Deduplication data for CentOS?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Aug 28 19:04:13 UTC 2012

On 08/28/12 11:41 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 3:03 AM, Rainer Traut<tr.ml at gmx.de>  wrote:
>>> >>
>> >Rsync is of no use for us. We have mainly big Domino .nsf files which
>> >only change slightly. So rsync  would not be able to make many hardlinks. :)
> Rdiff-backup might work for this since it stores deltas.   Are you
> doing something to snapshot the filesystem during the copy or are
> these just growing logs where consistency doesn't matter?

NSF files are a proprietary database format used by Lotus Notes and
Domino, very complex, there's a pile of versions, and they are totally
opaque.  Pretty sure that if they are being accessed or updated while
being copied the copy is invalid, so yes, some form of snapshotting is
required.

commercial backup software uses Domino/Notes APIs to do incremental
backups, for example
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH46513