[CentOS] bash job control and signals

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Wed Aug 29 21:57:57 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 10:00:47PM +0200, Theo Band wrote:
> and I cannot change this application. I want all processes that are
> children also to become suspended. I tried to add a trap, but that did
> not work.
>
> Any idea how to make this work?

The magic phrase you're looking for is "process group".  When you press
control-Z a signal is sent to all the process in the process group, but
when you send a "kill" it's only sent to one process.

So
% ps -o pgrp $your_process

That'll tell you the process group.    Then you kill -STOP -pgrp
(note the negative ID sent to kill)

That'll send a signal to all processes in the group

--

rgds
Stephen