[CentOS] Samba server choices

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 18:04:22 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 11:41 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

>> So my question to all of you is, what other options are out there? A
>> Win7 future kind of makes SME more attractive than rolling my own.
>
> I don't understand that justification?   Samba is Samba, the configs are
> pretty straight forward.

SME is a little more than a config writer - it combines some concepts
across applications into a simple web interface.   Define a group in
the web interface and you get both an email list and a unix/samba
permissions group.  Enable an application and you get the port(s) open
in iptables.  Specify an IP address, name, and MAC address and you get
both DHCP and DNS configs.  Create a file share (i-bay) and you get
web, ftp, and samba access with optional permissioning by groups.  And
so on.  With bare linux you not only have to understand the
configuration of many different applications, but the relationships
among the applications.   ClearOS takes the same task-centric, not
application-oriented approach.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com